Lakeland Catholic Schools has over 40 years of high quality programming experience in French Immersion. Children can begin the French Immersion program in Kindergarten.
French Immersion is a program of studies in which French is the language of instruction for a significant portion of the day. The program is designed specifically for English speaking children and their English-speaking parents. The Objective of the program is full mastery of the English language, functional fluency in French, as well we an understanding and appreciation of the French culture.
All our schools in Bonnyville and Cold Lake offer French Immersion for children from Preschool until Grade 12. The French Language curriculum is the same as the English curriculum; it is merely delivered in French by qualified, skilled French Immersion teachers.
Parents of French Immersion students do not need to speak French. Parent teacher conferences are held in English and report cards are always written in English. All children are welcome.
Top Reasons to Join French Immersion in Lakeland Catholic
- Highly skilled and experienced staff who are current in their professional practice.
- A variety of student opportunities to practice French through classroom learning, field trips, and technology.
- Cutting edge technology to support and enhance student progress.
- French Immersion students graduate with excellent language skills in both English and French.
- Catholic, Christian environment supported by school wide moral intelligence programs.
- Opportunity to experience French traditions, and culture in a variety of settings.
- Opportunities for travel to French-speaking provinces or countries.
Benefits of Second Language Learning
The impact of Second Language Education study shows the benefits of learning a second language are much broader than simply the ability to speak in another language. Research shows that second language students...
- score higher in both verbal and non-verbal intelligence.
- are superior in divergent thinking tasks and in memory ability and attention span.
- have higher test scores in reading, language, and mathematics.
Effect of First Language
- Significantly strengthens first language skills especially with an early start.
- have superior cross-cultural skills and display greater cultural sensitivity.
- answers the urgent requirement for qualified speakers of languages other than English in areas of science, technology, medicine and global commerce.
French Language Coordinator
(780) 826-3764 office
(780) 614-4622 cell