Dual Credit creates opportunities for students to earn credits in high school and post-secondary institutions at the same time. It also provides opportunities for preferred placement (post-secondary course exemption) and workplace certification.
At Lakeland Catholic School District there are a number of Dual Credit opportunities available including the following:
- The Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP) -There are 50+ Trades in Alberta to select from- (Alberta Apprenticeship)
- University Studies (Portage College)
- Introduction to Heavy Oil and Gas (Lakeland College)
- Oil and Exploration (Lakeland College)
- Environmental Studies (Lakeland College and Portage College)
- Youth Evangelization (Newman College)
- Social Justice (Newman College TBD)
- Hairstyling (Alberta Apprenticeship TBD)
- Early Learning and Child Care (Lakeland College, Portage College and Alberta Human Services)
- Sports Medicine (Sport Medicine Council of Alberta)
- Class 5 Driver Training (Portage College)
- 4th Class Power Engineering (NAIT)
There are many benefits to Dual Credit courses including:
Dual Credit increases student engagement, it provides opportunities for post-secondary planning and career exploration, it builds students’ confidence that they will be successful at the post-secondary level, it increases high school and post-secondary completion rates, it improves students’ transition to post-secondary education, and it reduces tuition rates and/or course load.
Ask the Career Counselor at your school which dual credit opportunities are available at your school.
Dual Credit is a great way to explore possible careers and get started on post-secondary studies and training.
For more information about Career & Technology Studies programming at Lakeland Catholic School District, please contact:
Phone: (780) 826-3764
Cell: (780) 813-0538